Learning Disability Support Worker
- Salary: £13.27 per hour - rising to point 11 with experience plus pension
- Job Type: Jobs
- Employer: Bede House Association
- Location: Southwark
We are looking for support workers to join our Learning Disabilities team. Support workers are part of a flexible team working with adults who have learning disabilities, who use the Bede Centre in Bermondsey SE16.
We work in a person-centered way to enable people with learning disabilities to become as independent as possible, to make their own choices and to be fully part of the community. We do this by supporting them to develop and maintain skills, try new opportunities, make and maintain friendships and spend their time in ways valued by them and the community. We work in partnership with other local charities, to provide as many social, volunteering and work opportunities as we can to the people that come to Bede.
We are looking to people that can work a variety of shifts, including full-time, part-time or flexible sessional cover. Our core service runs Monday-Friday, 9:30am-3:30pm, and we also support other projects and social clubs in the late afternoons.
We are accepting applications on a rolling basis, so please apply early.
If you are successful in getting through this first stage, we will ask you to fill out an application form with your full employment history, and to provide ID documents to show you are eligible to work in the UK. We will also invite you to interview and spend a taster day at our Centre. You will get the chance to meet some of our clients, and this will be a chance to assess how you meet the requirement in the job description.
Bede works with children and adults at risk of harm, and we have Safer Recruitment policies and procedures in place to ensure that they are protected from abuse. These roles are subject to an enhanced DBS with a possible barred list check.
Support workers will:
- Work both 1-1 and with small groups
- Work in the Bede Centre, off site venues whereby Bede has set up projects/ partnerships and in the community
- Work with service users with a wide range of abilities including those with complex needs and needing behaviour support
- Support service users with personal care, assisting with eating and drinking, hands-on support.
- Provide general support in the Centre, e.g. in using the café, computers, selecting and planning activities, starting on time, clearing away etc.
- Work with service users to plan and then support a range of occasional activities e.g. arts related, trips out etc.
- Take responsibility for running regular groups around specific subjects
- Provide support with transport and travel training where necessary (this will include starting and finishing your day at service users’ homes)
- Support service users volunteering with elderly householders and in other community settings
- Provide work experience support and job coaching.
- Work with other professionals, participating in meetings as required
- Work consistently, following guidelines that support communication or appropriate behaviour
- Communicate effectively and according to the needs of each individual
- Observe confidentiality of information regarding people using our services
- Ensure tools and equipment are used safely and properly and stored properly after use
- At all times work in a safe manner, with due regard for the Health and Safety needs of individual service users and according to Bede’s policies or the prevailing policies at an off-site venue.
- Be aware of Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults procedures and issues and report any concerns promptly to a manager
- Use diaries, communication books, reporting forms and individual’s files to ensure effective communication of necessary information
- Write reports and record information as necessary, in appropriate formats if required
- Use Bede administrative procedures such as timesheets and petty cash claims
- Attend supervision and appraisal sessions and undergo training according to identified needs
- Contribute to the overall effectiveness and development of the Learning Disabilities Service and Bede House Association
- Undertake any other duties reasonably requested from time to time
For further information please contact: firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister your interest
- This employer is a Living Wage Employer
- This employer participates in the Disability Confident Scheme