Staff Bank Food Service Assistant
- Salary: £11.95 - £13.30 Bank
- Job Type: Flexible
- Employer: Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital – NHS
- Location: London
We are looking for dedicated and dynamic Food Service Assistants to join our Soft Services Team at St Thomas’ Hospital.
The Patient Food Services Department is responsible for ensuring that over 3,500 high quality meals are served every day. The Site Soft Services Team provides patient catering, housekeeping and building maintenance services across the site. The post holder will join a dynamic and skilled team, with the ability to build on the strengths of the current soft services, yet flexible to adapt to future changes to ensure the needs and objectives of both the service and the Trust are met.
You will have previous catering experience in a facilities environment and be confident at:
- Delivering exceptional customer service
- Having a commitment to carrying out tasks with a great attention to detail
- Demonstrating a natural ability to work with colleagues as part of a large and diverse team
‘Putting Patients First’ is one of our Trust Values and all team members must be friendly with a willingness to help patients, visitors and colleagues at all times.
Main duties of the job
The post holder will be responsible for providing an essential and efficient patient food service to designated areas; whilst meeting the needs and objectives of both the department and the wider Trust.
Working for our organisation
Essentia is part of Guy’s and St Thomas’ and is responsible for all non-clinical healthcare services. Essentia designs, builds and maintains healthcare infrastructure, which is vital to the smooth running of healthcare services. This encompasses everything from construction projects and healthcare planning to waste management, catering, housekeeping, transport and security. Essentia employs around 1,800 people. It combines exceptionally high standards and public sector values with commercial focus, innovative thinking and modern technology to create the best possible patient experience.
What We Offer
We offer a dynamic challenging job in an exciting, fast moving, flexible working environment. We have a strong commitment to your personal and professional development.
In addition, we offer excellent benefits, including:
• The NHS Pension Scheme – one of the most generous and comprehensive in the UK. When you start working for the NHS you
automatically become a member and you will get an excellent package of pension benefits.
• Interest free Season Ticket Loan
• Long Term Service Awards
• Subsidised on-site nurseries and childcare vouchers
• A comprehensive staff health and well-being programme, ‘5 ways to a healthier YOU’
• Ride to work scheme
• Employee assistance programme
• Free stop smoking service
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
- Prepares breakfast, lunch and supper meals, together with 5 beverage rounds; conducting food box collections and regeneration of the food using either the Burlodge oven or microwave.
- Liaises with the clinical team, specifically the Mealtime Coordinator and observes the dietetic data noted on the ward level Nutrition Boards.
- Takes meal orders from patients in a courteous manner, with full knowledge of menu options with the ability to make recommendations. Utilises electronic or manual devices to record menu selections and encourage patients to make informed choices through the use of food photography.
- Heats, plates and garnishes meals; in accordance with the dish requirements.
- Takes and records temperature readings of the food prior to serving.
- Notifies the clinical team when the meal service is about to commence, checks whether there are any additional dietary requirements since meal orders were taken.
- Delivers meal trays to patients and clears them once the patient has finished; recording any food wastage before emptying it into the appropriate bin.
- Notifies clinical team if there are high levels of waste from a particular patient, including untouched meals.
- Completes the associated documentation to confirm the number of meals served.
- Ensures all glassware and crockery are cleaned, stacked and put away in the cupboards.
- Checks that all documentation relating to the patient catering service is readily available in both the patient’s bedside locker and also in the kitchen; obtaining replacement copies as and when necessary.
- Cleans kitchen fittings, including sinks, microwaves/burlodges and fridges/ice machines; and removes any fluids present from surfaces, as dictated by local procedures.
- Damp dusts all surfaces, including those at high level; cleans internal glass and removes finger marks e.g. on doors and surrounds; and damp mops hard surfaced flooring.
- Maintains high standards of tidiness within their designated areas of responsibility.
- Replaces all consumables; ensuring they are fully stocked at all times, including hand towels, hand soap, toilet rolls and waste sacks.
- Empties and cleans waste bins, ensuring items are disposed of both safely and correctly in accordance with the waste and infection control policies.
- Assists with the movement of stores and cleaning materials.
- Carries out their duties in all areas of the Trust, including mental health wards, isolation rooms and barrier nursing areas, as and when dictated by local procedures.
- Ensures specific work is completed to a satisfactory standard by undertaking routine and ad-hoc environmental quality audits within the scheduled area of work. Utilising performance monitoring systems, either electronic or manual to report areas of concern.
- Utilises ‘image of the service’ initiatives, ensuring high presentation and commercial standards are maintained at all times; adhering to SLAs and CQC/PLACE audits.
- Contributes to the continuous improvement of the service, increasing client satisfaction and flexible working practices; prepared to offer support and cover on a cross-site basis if necessary.
Please see the Job Description for the full duties of the role
- Good command of Written & Spoken English
- BICSc certificate
- Experience of working in a healthcare environment
- Cleaning experience
- Patient / Customer focused
- Works as part of a team
- Self Managing
- Adaptable to change
- Knowledge of patient / customer values
Please email Andreia for more info at email@example.com