- Salary: £32,466 - £39,521 p.a inc HCA
- Job Type: Full-time
- Employer: Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital – NHS
- Location: London
This role will work within Essentia community services to support clinical and non-clinical sites. Essentia employs in excess of 1700 staff in a multitude of different roles offering support services to clinical directorates within the Trust and in the wider healthcare economy.
The key duties of the post is to manage, maintain and improve patient and staff environments. Provide professional and technical support and ensure compliance to a designated portfolio of clinical and non-clinical buildings. Provide high quality project and administrative support including the provision of information and analysis of data. Be a key advocate and champion of health & safety practices.
The post-holder will undertake reporting, audit and analysis of data to support delivery of safe and appropriate environments for the delivery of healthcare and other non-clinical functions.
The post-holder is a key member of a team whose overarching goal is to enable the effective use of data, information, knowledge and technology to improve, inform and support a portfolio of sites across south London to Guys’ and St Thomas’ and other Trusts as appropriate.
The job description and person specification are an outline of the tasks, responsibilities and outcomes required of the role. The post holder will carry out any other duties as may reasonably be requested by their line manager in line with their banding.
Main duties of the job
Staff Management (where applicable)
Working for our organisation
Essentia is part of Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust and is the in-house team responsible for non-clinical healthcare services. Essentia designs, builds and maintains healthcare infrastructure vital to the smooth running of healthcare services. This encompasses everything from construction projects and healthcare planning to waste management, housekeeping, transport and security. Essentia employs around 1,700 people, who provide essential facilities management support to clinical teams. It combines exceptionally high standards and public sector values with commercial focus, innovative thinking and modern technology to create the best possible patient experience. Essentia strives to be a great place to work, grow and build a career. The Essentia Way is:
- Working together
- Doing it well
- Looking after each other
We have a great NHS pension scheme, access to our own training academy, interest free season ticket loans and much more. If you fit the criteria, apply and you could be part of our Community Family.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
- Manage environments, reporting all defects and following up with estates teams to ensure rectification of environmental defects.
- Ensure all environments are in the best possible condition and appropriate for modern healthcare to be delivered. This includes furnishings, fixtures, fabric of the buildings, fittings and equipment being maintained in good condition and, where appropriate and in correct working order.
- Attend and support Building User Group (BUG) meetings and carry forward any relevant actions as necessary, leading on all environmental matters and escalate where necessary.
- Carry out monthly audits for cleanliness, environment and health & safety.
- Evidence and report all building compliance data for both hard & soft services and fire & security via an agreed template.
- Support annual PLACE and CQC audits, being a key member of the action planning team before and after inspections.
- Ensure that there is adequate control of waste in community buildings, including education of on-site staff and ensuring that the correct waste streams are used by clinical teams at all times.
- To support the fire safety management team to review fire safety measures in the healthcare environment, reporting and resolving deficiencies commensurate with NVQ Level 3.
- Issue permits to work for safety related tasks (non-technical).
- Be a lead advocate for health & safety, championing and reporting health & safety issues on their designated sites and ensuring a culture of reporting near misses prevails.
- Be involved with and keep informed of current technical advances (work and management techniques, IT, equipment, etc.).
- Manage requisitions and Purchase Orders and adhere to Standing Financial Instructions and Trust processes.
- Participate in relevant internal and external working groups/projects, services and initiatives, to provide information and analytical advice to strategic leads.
- Work with members of the team to develop and implement project data collection systems that will provide accurate and timely data.
- Communicate information and issues, including briefings and reports, to clinical and Essentia management and strategic leads as appropriate.
- Regularly attend and actively participate in and contribute to the operations team.
- Regularly visit clinical & non-clinical areas and records details of such visits and environmental information.
- Actively participate in the development and delivery of new ideas that will improve business efficiency by optimising the use of resources and systems.
Staff Management (where applicable)
- Ensure that all training and development needs are identified on a regular basis via annual PDR process and are incorporated into the Essentia Community overall Training Plan.
- Ensure that all yours and your teams (where relevant) mandatory training is current and up to date.
- The post holder will be responsible for the management of the operational support teams, will motivate and develop staff and co-ordinate the education and training requirements of the team in line with the objectives of any staff development initiatives internally or externally.
- Provide strong individual and professional leadership through change, supporting staff and colleagues and through a visionary motivational and problem solving approach, subject to financial constraints and HR agreement.
- Take responsibility for all planning of day to day rotas for the teams within their areas.
- Initiate the team briefing hierarchy and communicate effectively with all operational teams.
- Take responsibility of Sickness and Absence in your team informally up to and including first formal meetings.
- Responsible for ensuring correct surveys are carried out, for example structural and asbestos.
- Manage requisitions and Purchase Orders in line with the Standing Financial Instructions and Trust processes.
- Support the Service Manager or Business Support Manager to monitor contractual procedures with consultants and contractors.
- Provide training as necessary for staff and contractors working on projects.
- Administer programme and project meetings, including attending meetings, taking minutes, and circulating/recording information appropriately.
- Supervise support staff as appropriate including orientation/training on site following/during commissioning stages of works.
- Carry out timely and accurate information analysis and report on agreed areas of portfolio and present findings in an agreed manner.
- Develop and maintain databases required.
- Maintain administrative and information resources.
- Ensure that all your training and development needs are identified on a regular basis via annual PDR process and are incorporated into the Essentia Community overall Training Plan.
- Ensure that all your mandatory training is current and up to date.
- Communicate with clinical leads and site administrative staff on a daily basis regarding the environment.
- Represent community services on multi-disciplinary groups and committees as required.
- Investigate and report on any complaints in accordance with the GSTT complaints procedure identify risks and actions to resolve in accordance with Trust policy.
- The post holder is expected to carry out other duties as allocated, commensurate with the grade.
- Be flexible in regard to place of work, hours of work and nature of duties.
Knowledge, Training and Experience
- Educated to degree level in relevant subject or equivalent level of experience of working at a similar level in specialist area.
- Knowledge of administrative procedures, project management or information analysis.
- NVQ level 3 certificate in fire safety.
- Basic knowledge of project principles.
- Previously worked in similar position within the public sector.
- ECDL (European Computer Driving Licence)
- Skills for communication on complex information and administrative matters, requiring developed interpersonal and oral/written communication skills.
- Ability to pull together comprehensive draft reports, data and letters. Negotiating, networking and persuasive skills.
- Problem solving skills and ability to respond to sudden unexpected demands.
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to re-prioritise.
- Skills for supporting project management.
- Skills for managing aspects of projects ensuring they meet financial targets.
- Skills for manipulating information.
- IT skills and use of a range of software packages.
- Ability to work on own initiative and organise own workload with minimal supervision working to tight and often changing timescales.
Please email Andreia for more info at firstname.lastname@example.org