Early Years Assistant
- Salary: 9.66 per hour
- Job Type: Jobs
- Employer: London Early Years Foundation
- Location: SE15
Early Years Assistant – Reports to: Nursery Manager
1) Scope of the role:
To support the Nursery team in planning and organising activities and experiences for a group of children aged between 3 months – 5 years. To protect and promote the safeguarding of children.
Every employee at LEYF is expected to deliver outcomes that contribute to the LEYF mission, Changing the World one Child at a Time. This is done through living the LEYF values and the LEYF pedagogy (how LEYF leads learning of self and others).2) Main Accountabilities:
The LEYF pedagogy is reflected in our social enterprise approach. It has been designed as 7 strands (listed below) in order to strengthen children’s social and cultural capital through language, social opportunities, cultural experiences and friendships.
Leading for Excellence
- Supporting Child
- To support key persons in maintaining children’s learning and development.
- To support the maintenance of objective, accurate and up-to-date records which identify children’s individual needs, abilities and progress and use these as a basis for future
- To support the planning and organising of activities and experiences which will support and extend the children’s learning in line with EYFS and LEYF
- To maintain a basic up to date knowledge of child development and the early years
- To participate in the performance management framework and regularly attend
- To undertake any other tasks as requested by the Management Team or Central Office Team which are necessary for the smooth running of the
- To provide cover in other nurseries in the local area as required by the Nursery
- To work within all LEYF policies and
- To support the provision of teaching opportunities for children.
- Ensure the nursery maintains and develops a learning environment that is inclusive and promotes child’s health, safety, physical and emotional well being
- To work with colleagues as part of the Nursery team.
- To participate fully in
- To be an ambassador for LEYF.
- To maintain confidentiality as appropriate.
- To cascade information as
- To support children, parents and carers during key
Safe, Fit and Healthy
To be alert to issues of safeguarding and child protection, ensuring that the welfare and safety of children attending the nursery is paramount and safeguarded.
- To report any child protect concerns to the person in charge.
- To support the management of children’s behaviour and routines in line with LEYF’s policies and
- To undertake specific tasks related to the safety and hygiene of the children and the cleanliness of the nursery, maintaining a cleaning routine under the direction of the Nursery Leadership
- To work within LEYF’ Equal Opportunities Policy and contribute to maintaining an inclusive
- To work within all the relevant LEYF policies and
- To participate in outings and trips including Health and Safety aspects.
- To work in partnership with parents both formally and informally.
- To communicate and engage with children to support their speech
- and language development using different methods ie. Makaton, Pecs etc.
- To communicate effectively with members of the Nursery Team.
- To welcome parents to the nursery in a cheerful and friendly manner.
- When appropriate to liaise with other professionals in an effective and timely way.
- To support improvements in quality across the curriculum
The list is generally representative of the role but other reasonable duties may be assigned to the job holder, consistent with the nature of the role and its level of responsibility.
|Internal Relationships||External Relationships|
Nursery Team / Colleagues
Other professionals and outside agencies.
4) Person Specifications
|Entry level qualification in childcare||D|
|GCSE Math and English A-C OR Functional skills Math and English level 2||D|
|Experience and Skills||Essential/Desirable|
|Completion of a child Development course||D|
|Willingness to further own professional skills||E|
|Ability to speak and write a good level of English.||E|
|Passion and desire to work with children||E|
|Experience in working with children ages 0-5 within any setting||D|
|Basic understanding of safeguarding children||E|
|Friendly and personable||E|
|Planning & Delivering
· Planning and monitoring
· Working strategically
· Organisation and managing resources effectively
· Consistency of execution
· Driving outcomes
· Making decisions.
· Development themselves
· Developing talent
· Coaching others
· Encouraging quality and inclusivity and embrace and value diversity
· Valuing others
|Living the Values
· Leading with Social Purpose
· Applying the Pedagogy especially Leading for a Culture of Excellence
· Contribution to the Values
· Encouraging, challenge and building culture
· Shares and capture organizational learning
· Being change minded
· Thinking creatively
|Creating a Nurturing & High Performing Team
· Collaborating with others
· Building trust in relationships
· Showing compassion
· Role modelling accountability
Import LEYF strategy and Functional top line objectives identifying how this role feeds into the over strategy
For further information and/or to apply – Contact: Mark@southwarkworks.org.uk