Piling Attendant Level 2 Apprenticeship
- Job Type: Apprenticeships
- Employer: Morrisroe Group
- Location: Central London and within the M25 area
Piles are foundations for structures or retaining walls. Bearing piles for structures are used to transfer structural loads into the ground to a suitable soil stratum and limit structural movements. Wall piles are used to retain the non-cohesive soils or support existing building adjacent to excavations with deflection limits. Piles are installed using various type of piling rigs.
Our in-house design team has the expertise to design both geotechnical and structural elements, including pile caps and rafts. We can also design and install structural sections or plunge columns into the piles to facilitate top-down construction or other temporary works. We also undertake the integrity and load testing of piles to ensure design performance and client specifications are met.
GSS Piling Ltd, often known informally as “GSS” grew out of the Geostructural Solutions business that was formed in 2004 and is a piling and construction specialist. Since 2019 it has been part of the Morrisroe Group. GSS Piling undertakes small and large scale piling and Geostructural projects for residential, commercial, civil engineering and public authorities, including heritage structures with values up to £10m. Our activities are predominantly focused in London and the home counties. Through our skilled team and own plant fleet we can always innovate and find solutions to complex temporary and permanent works problems and deliver them safely, on time, to budget and to the highest standards of quality and sustainability.
As a Piling Apprentice, you will be placed on one of our projects, to gain hands on experience, working alongside our knowledgeable piling team. You will also gain a Level 2 National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) in Piling Operations.Register your interest
- This employer is a Living Wage Employer
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Support the piling team on site, develop knowledge and experience in the various techniques in boring and forming piles in the ground;
- Learn to guide and control the movement of our specialist plant, machinery, and delivery vehicles;
- Prepare, check, control and maintain machinery and equipment in use;
- Perform a variety of manual and mechanically assisted tasks which will include loading and unloading of vehicles, handling, and moving materials, prepare, measure, monitor and record part of the construction process. Learning and understanding concrete sampling, checking reinforcement cages against their fabrication drawings, record and report any defects found, and placement of reinforcing;
- Attend college over a period of 18 months to complete the apprenticeship and gain a level 2 qualification.
- Support and funding to achieve a Level 2 National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) in Piling Operations
- Guidance and support from your Apprenticeship Manager, Line Manager and the wider team
- A competitive salary (London Living Wages – £10.85 per hour)
- Ongoing training and progression options to advance within the company
- Progression: Successful graduates can progress into GSSs workforce (subject to becoming qualified and performance reviews)
Skills & Attributes:
- Must be over 18 to comply with our health and safety regulations
- Flexible with your location as our roles are generally in central London or within the M25
- Demonstrable interest in and a commitment to develop yourself
- Demonstrates a sound work ethic, flexible and punctual
- Individuals without level 1 English and Mathematics Level 1 will need to achieve this level and take the test for level 2 English and Mathematics prior to taking the end point assessment
Central London and within the M25 area